Grand Canyon + The End of Family Time

December 17, 2016 Grand Canyon Village, AZ 86023, USA











Well - these posts are coming together much more slowly than I anticipated. I thought I would be a blogging machine since I don't have a job and I have a ton of free time... I'm blaming it on the fact that we have been with family for the past few weeks and before that we were with friends. In reality I'm just a little bit lazier than I wish I was.

Anyway! One of the days that we spent with my Aunt in Flagstaff we got out and went to the Grand Canyon. The South Rim was only about about 75 miles away and we decided to make it a day trip. I kind of wish we had spent multiple days there or at least an overnight to see the sun come up and go down. Those are supposed to be the most beautiful times of day in the canyon. 

I feel like when you get there you are either instantly blown away or unimpressed. During the middle of the afternoon the rocks in the canyon looks a little washed out and everything sort of blends together in a beige, rockish haze. It's still amazing if you think about the time it took and the vastness of it but truthfully if you see one angle you kind of feel like you've seen them all... I have admitted in the past though that I'm not a desert buff so the magic - once again - may have been lost on me. BUT as soon as the sun started to set it was a whole new world.

It is absolutely gorgeous at sunset! Every corner we turned I made Blake stop so we could take another photo. Honestly no picture can do it justice. It's too amazing and too beautiful. 

There are a lot of hikes that you can do that  take you further down in the canyon. We intended on doing one but found out that we needed crampons. It had snowed a day or so prior and most of the trails were pretty icy so we opted for the South Rim Trail. It was a 5 mile round trip from the visitors center to the lodge and back but it was really nice and we still got to see some really awesome views.

We have made a list of things we want to revisit when our trip is over and  going back to the Grand Canyon to do some serious hiking is near the top! We are for sure going back to the 13 mile hike to Havasupi Falls and we would both love to do the rim to rim hike! I think that one might take more wilderness experience that I currently have but I would still try!

If you ever get a chance to go its definitely worth it. Like I said - try to hit sunrise or sunset but either way its amazing. And if you end up thinking it was just a big hole in the ground then at least it's one more new place you've been!

Happy weekend everyone!

Post a Comment

Copyright © Camp Somewhere
Design by Fearne