Moab + Dead Horse State Park

October 28, 2016



 
 
 

Good Afternoon!

We just got back into Moab after spending the last two days camping near Canyon Lands Nation Park. Its really beautiful out there! We ended up finding a lot of really nice, free camp spots back near the entrance to Dead Horse State Park. I don't think they are advertised anywhere - or at least we didn't see them on any of the maps or web pages we were looking at. We got lucky though because we had Brett with us and he chatted up some nice mountain bikers who told us about it. The spot we choose ended up being right next to a place people go to watch the sunrises and sunsets over the canyon. I had seen it in the New York Times 36 Hours U.S. and Canada book - if you guys haven't ever checked that out you definitely should!

I'm so glad we decided to go because the views were incredible. The canyon that we were overlooking was formed by the Colorado and Green Rivers and its just crazy to see the vastness of it. You can learn more about it <here>  if you're interested. You feel really tiny up there. I'm not the biggest fan of heights so I did get a little nervous but it was worth it. If you guys saw my Instagram or Facebook, I told the story on there but I had the two dogs and my camera and was trying to get some cool shots of Blake and Brett on the rocks opposite me. I wanted to Blake to take them so that I could run back and get a different lens so I jogged over to them without paying super close attention to where I was going. I saw a big crack in between the rocks I was on and the one they were on but it was a little too late and Teddi had already jumped it. It was probably about a 3 foot gap and not a big deal at all for her but I freaked out because I'm a giant baby and didn't let go of Huck's leash when he tried to jump. He slipped and ended up falling down in the crack. Thank heavens - and Blake because he found them - but he had his harness on and I was able to pull him out without strangling him. I know that's a sad story but he really, really, really was okay. He barely cared and tried to jump across again as soon as I got him out of there - and when I looked down afterward he really wouldn't have fallen that far.... but still, I was really sad about it and felt bad for a while afterward.

On to a more fun note - we flew the drone!! We got a 3D Robotics Solo Drone about 3 months ago and have just been so busy (and maybe a little scared) that we haven't flown it but its the coolest thing ever! I love it!! I am sitting at a coffee shop charging the battery right now so I can hopefully get some cool footage to show you guys later. It's really fun though and you can hook the GoPro up to it and the app shows you exactly what the drone see's so you can toggle the camera and film and it will automatically save the footage to your phone!! I could barely believe it. One more techy thing - I cannot figure out how to work the GoPro. I have messed around with it so much and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong! I think that a kindergartener would understand this thing better than I do. Help me!

We thought about staying here a little longer and hitting Arches National Park and a few others but we have both been here a few times and so we're going to move on but thats what we've been up to so far! We've spent a lot of time playing with the dogs, laying in the sun and catching up with Brett. We're on our own again though for the next week or so, so wish us luck! I'll pop back in with some more pics soon!

Happy Friday!

2 comments

  1. Nice work. I also camped at Dead Horse Park for some mountain biking. Rented bikes in Moab - salesman had a neck brace - should have been a clue there. Tried the Slick Rock trail - was nuts - backed off and want on some easier runs. Had some medicinal brownies in tupperware at the Park and when we returned - no brownies and some very high Alvin and the chipmunks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aloha Michael!

      We are happy that you made it out of Dead Horse Park in better shape than the salesman! Britney, Bretton, the puppies and I had a wonderful adventure in Moab and would love to make it back in later travels. Maybe next time, you and Aunt Pamela could join us and we could have a "squeakquel" with a trio of vans. The more the merrier.

      Thanks for posting on our blog! Keep us posted on any upcoming trips to the states.

      Blake, Brit, Teddi + Huck

      Delete

Copyright © Camp Somewhere
Design by Fearne